Taino Bay Port
The Taino Bay Port opened its doors on December 15th, 2021 with the presence of Dominican Republic president Luis R. Abinader and the arrival of the MSC Seashore, a modern EVO class cruise ship with 1,700 passengers and capacity for 4,540 plus crew.
The Taino Bay terminal is part of a multipurpose project that will allow the docking of cruise ships, containers and the loading of products, which will make it one of the most attractive and active ports in the country.
In the new Taino Bay, cruise passengers will arrive at an exciting destination with elements related to the pre-Columbian Taino culture, as well as an ecological park, water slides, encounters with wildlife, restaurants, shops and other entertainment. From there they will have direct access to the historic center of Puerto Plata, with its colorful Victorian-style houses and buildings.
“Taino Bay, built with an investment of more than 80 million dollars, is the result of the public-private alliance we have been able to materialize. (…) the Dominican Republic is advancing on the path of social development and economic growth.
The port has an investment of more than 80 million dollars and is part of the initiatives of the government and private initiative to potentiate the tourism of the Atlantic bride, as well as the economy of the region.
The new Port of Taino Bay has three berths, a passenger reception center with a capacity to house some 14,000 cruise passengers simultaneously. This terminal will generate about 1,500 direct jobs and 3,500 indirect jobs.
“This port terminal will guarantee the growth and dynamism of the economy of the entire northern zone, and therefore of the country. It is projected to receive more than 750,000 cruise passengers through the doors of this port terminal by 2022, which will represent an average income of US$75 million. These are real numbers and they can improve with everyone’s participation and action,” said Jean Luis Rodríguez, executive director of the Port Authority.
Among the shipping companies that have announced the arrival of cruise ships are Royal Caribbean Cruises, Virgin Voyages, MSC Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, TUI Cruises, Celebrity Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises.
The tourist port is designed based on the architectural trend of the Taino times, in addition, it will have tour sales services for the tourist points of the city, restaurant areas, recreational areas, shops and services.
- Taino Village with a theme based on the culture of the pre-Columbian Taino people.
- Monkey Jungle will be an interactive ecological park with Capuchin monkeys, a botanical garden, an aviary, a reptile island, a marine habitat and a sustainability center.
- Fort Cibao will be a theme park with water slides, roller coasters, children’s and VIP areas, and swimming with rays and cat sharks.
- Bucanneers Village with shops, bars, restaurants, squares for live entertainment and a museum.
- Fort San Felipe, a historic 14th-century Spanish fortress overlooking the bay, commissioned by King Phillip II of Spain in 1564, and full of historic significance.
- Puerto Plata Historic District, within walking distance to the port, and full of landmarks, restaurants, plazas, museums, shopping areas and entertainment.
- Zip Line – A multi-stage Zip Line that will surround the entire facility.
- Taino Bay Port Excursions
- Catamaran Charter – Option to book a Puerto Plata Catamaran